Sunday 4 January 2015

Make it worth referencing – here is how

One thing I always try to keep in mind before publishing a post is would anyone want to “cite” this for any reason? Just like interesting research is great because it leaves you with a fascinating finding or an idea, I like for my posts to be the same. That doesn’t mean relying on research, but simply making sure each post has an original lesson or actionable item, making it “citable” on the web.


Gregory Ciotti, marketing strategist at Help Scout
Our very own Buffer co-founder Leo has written about a similar thing before:
When writing a post, I get into a mindset to answer just this 1 question with a Yes: “Would anyone email this article to a friend?”
It’s an extremely simple proposition. Yet, it has changed my writing completely. If I put myself into a reader’s head going through a post and seeing whether someone will say “Oh, this is interesting, John will really like this”, then I go ahead and publish it. It’s almost like an invisible threshold to pass. I need to improve the post until this level is reached. I will iterate, find more research, get more examples, until I can truly imagine this happening.
I’m sure there are lots more great tips out there about building a blog. What’s your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment